- About the race
- The Cardiff Kook Run 5K, 10K and Costume Contest is a celebration of the greatest community in the most amazing town on the map – and remember, it’s on Super Bowl Sunday!
- The course starts under the world famous “Encinitas” sign on historic HWY 101 in beautiful Encinitas, California. This scenic loop passes by the famous “Cardiff Kook” statue (The Magic Carpet Ride), rises above some of the most popular surf breaks in the world and heads down to Cardiff State Beach.
- Race Map
The Cardiff Kook Run is the idea of Steve Lebherz and Seth Brewer, two locals who have been running this particular route for 15 years. They always said,
“Everybody should see this!”
Now everybody can.
Locals, kids, adults, serious runners and kooks alike are invited to run– for life, for community, for a really fun time.
Packet pick up
We strongly encourage you pick up your bib and race T shirt at Road Runner Sports either Monday or Tuesday as the day of the event will be quite crowded.
- Friday, January 30th from 2-7pm & Saturday, January 31st from 12-7pm
Road Runner Sports (Carlsbad)
5617 Paseo Del Norte #100 Carlsbad, CA 92008
(760) 444 – 3020
Elite 10K racing information
Men / Women
Men / Women
Men / Women
Bonus for setting new course record
Age Group awards for:
- 18 – 21,
- 22 – 25,
- 26 – 30,
- 31 – 35,
- 36 – 40,
- 41 – 45,
- 46 – 50,
- 51 – 55,
- 56 – 60,
- 61 – 65,
- 66 – 70,
- 75 and up
Costume contest Information
1st, 2nd, 3rd, Place awards
Individual and Group
Cardiff Kook Costume Contest
- Costume participants need to register at the Costume Contest Registration table prior to race start
- Prizes will be awarded to the top three athletes who best display the spirit of the annual Cardiff Kook
- The costume award ceremony immediately following the 10k race
- Race completion times have no bearing on costume contest results
- Normal running attire is not considered a costume
- Athletes must be present at awards ceremony to receive award
The annual Cardiff Kook Run 10K & 5K is a celebration of the greatest town on the map – on the greatest day of the year, Super Bowl Sunday. The scenic loop will begin at Moonlight Beach, pass under the famous Cardiff Kook along the 101, rise above some of the most popular surf breaks in San Diego and then make its way down to Cardiff State Beach. Then you get to experience it all again on your way back.
CKR is proud to donate generous portions of proceeds to Cardiff 101 Main Street for the ongoing enhancement and preservation of the Magic Carpet Ride plaza and surroundings and also to assist the community of Cardiff with park related needs.